My Seoul Soul: Study abroad reflection

Story by Kylie Tannenbaum, 2024
Kylie Tannenbaum is a graduate student pursuing an M.S. in Planning and Development. She is a recipient of the 2024 Thomas W. Rivers Foreign Exchange Scholarship to participate in this study abroad program. 

“Studying abroad in South Korea during the summer of 2024 was truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. My experience exposed me to a rich tapestry of culture, history, and knowledge that left an indelible mark on me.

As a first-generation college student who has never left out of North America. Fast forward to my undergraduate years, where I pursued a major in biology and a minor in public health. It was during this time, while taking a business English course at ECU that I became acquainted with urban planning. This newfound interest led me to delve deeper through research and sparked a desire to pursue this field.

The disparities between America and South Korea became strikingly apparent to me during my time in Seoul. The densely populated city, home to half of the country’s population, showcased an urban landscape vastly different from what I was accustomed to. Seoul’s emphasis on public transit, abundant green spaces, compact zoning, and eco-friendly building practices, such as rooftop gardens, created a truly walkable city with an emphasis on pedestrian accessibility. This stark contrast from the sprawling, car-dependent nature of many American towns and cities highlighted the potential for impactful change.

Moreover, what struck me most was South Korea’s commitment to equity in urban planning. The deliberate focus on ensuring equal access to public spaces, clean air, clean water, and overall aesthetic beauty within districts and zoning structures underscored a dedication to creating a more accessible and sustainable environment.

My experience in South Korea ignited a passion for planning rooted in a deep-seated desire to address the shortcomings I observed in my own country. It broadened my perspective and instilled a sense of purpose in creating more equitable and sustainable communities.”

Visit Kylie’s StoryMap on Equity in Planning, produced as the final project.

Interested in the 2025 Study Abroad program in South Korea?

Website at https://planning.ecu.edu/study_abroad/