Planner-in-Residence: Ms. Angela Richter

Angela with her husband and three children at the Outer Banks.

• Full Name: Angela Richter
  • Pronouns: she/her
  • Current Title/Position: Consultant
  • Hometown: Waco, Texas
  • Hobbies: flower gardening, quilting, crafting
  • Colleges Attended and Degrees:
    • Villanova University, Villanova, PA, B.A. Environmental Studies (2011)
    • University of Texas at Austin, M.S. Community and Regional Planning (2015)

——————– O ——————–

• Former Jobs:  Executive Director, Save Barton Creek Association (Austin, TX), Advocacy Manager, Austin Parks Foundation (Austin, TX)
  • Former Volunteer Positions: Board President, Walk Austin; Board Member, Austin Outside
  • Specializations: Public policy advocacy, government relations, sustainable city policy, nonprofit strategy and management, coalition building, pedestrian planning, environment and parks policy
  • Course You Will Teach: PLAN 1900 – Sustainable Cities

Angela Richter (far right) with fellow advocates before speaking at a public meeting on a proposed sewage permit

• Advice for Students: (1) Find your passion. By following the things that inspired me and taking opportunities that presented themselves I have always loved my work. I get to feel like I’m using my talents to make the world a better place! (2) No job is too “low” to start if it’s in a field you want to be in. I started in the environmental space by door-to-door canvassing. Volunteer positions have also been a huge part of building my expertise and impact.
  • What I love about the department/program: It is amazing that ECU is one of the few universities to offer a planning degree for undergraduates! What a gift to be able to give students a degree that easily translates to many great career paths. The faculty are committed to helping students grow and flourish.

Angela Richter, second from right participating in a walk audit to discuss pedestrian improvements with City of Austin staff and neighborhood leaders