A Step Closer to the Profession

A special call for support was sent out to Pirate Planning alums. In less than a month, we could secure support for eight undergraduate Planning students to participate in the American Planning Association (APA)—North Carolina Conference on October 11-12, 2023.

Planning is a rapidly changing field of study that requires constant professional development from diverse regions and subfields. Beyond networking, planners learn new skills, opportunities, and ideas by sharing research projects, best practices, and certification training at the American Planning Association conferences. The ECU’s Community and Regional Planning program has participated in the conference every year by holding an exhibition table to showcase the program’s excellence and networking with alums.

Bella Sardina speaks with an alumnus at the exhibition table.

In 2023, the program challenged further—three current and former undergraduate students presented at this professional conference in a Lightning Round Session (moderated by Misun Hur, ECU Planning faculty). Mason Mattox (alumnus who graduated in May 2023, Planning Technician of Pitt County Planning Department) presented “Planning Strategies for Equitable Community Engagement in Raleigh, North Carolina” (client: City of Raleigh, NC). The project was a Senior Capstone Studio project prepared by a small group of three students–Jackson Van Ness (team leader), Janet Moreno, and Mason Mattox. William Blake Privette (alumnus who graduated in May 2023, Planner I at the City of Greenville, NC) presented “Residential Energy Efficiency Study, Kinston, NC” (client: City of Kinston, NC). The project was a Senior Practicum project completed by himself. Isabella Sardina (Senior Planning student) shared the class-wide project completed by twenty students in the Housing class on behalf of the class. The project was the “Deferred Maintenance of Housing, Town of Bethel, NC” (clients: Bethel Advocacy Committee on behalf of the Town of Bethel, NC, and Pitt County’s Planning Department).

The funds raised by the alums helped fund students to participate in the conference. Attended students varied in their ranks—a sophomore, a junior, and six seniors. Caramia Landis, a sophomore student, shared her testimonial below.

“The American Planning Association Conference was an amazing learning experience that made me even more excited to go into the planning field. Seeing all the innovative and forward-thinking projects that planners around North Carolina are working on was truly incredible and I took away so much. The networking opportunities were unmatched, and getting to talk to planners with ample experience answered many of my questions and gave me a clearer view of what I may want my future as a planner to look like. It was very impressive to watch my peers give presentations at the conference, and it inspired me to work hard so that I may give a presentation at the conference in the coming years like they did. All in all, the conference was a great high-impact experience that taught me valuable lessons I can take back to ECU to apply in the classroom and beyond.” – Caramia Landis, Sophomore Planning

A special shout out to Mr. James Duncan, Ms. Catherine Grimm, Mr. Andrew Holland, Mr. Richard King, Mr. Christopher Normile, Mr. James Rhodes, Ms. Mary Schoof, Ms. Holly White, and Ms. Traci White for your generous donations!  Go, Pirates!  Go, Planning!