Pirate nation welcomes Dr. Kaylyn Levine

The Pirate Planning program welcomes a new transportation planning faculty, Dr. Kaylyn Levine. Let’s meet Dr. Levine!

• Hometown: North Franklin, CT
  • Hobbies: I enjoy photography, hiking, traveling, attending concerts, baking, and participating in agility and dock diving with my dogs.
  • Education: I first received my BS in Environmental Science from UCLA, and then my MS in Applied Urban Science and Informatics from NYU’s Center for Urban Science and Progress. I also earned my PhD in Community and Regional Planning from the University of Texas at Austin.
  • Specialties: My research uses a mobility justice framework to evaluate active and public transportation planning decisions. My work is actionable, focusing on transportation planning outcomes and experiences for marginalized communities. I engage with intersectionality to advance the way planners understand diverse human experiences and needs.
  • Special memories: I grew up in a small town in southeastern CT a few hours away from New York City. My favorite childhood memory is riding the commuter rail into the city with my family to spend the day exploring and eating pizza. Learning to navigate the subway system and walking through the vibrant neighborhoods sparked my interest in transportation planning. New York will always be one of my favorite places! 
  • Career goals: I am eager to collaborate with students, faculty colleagues, and the local community on transportation planning challenges. I want the next generation of planners to understand what justice means, and how to address justice in their scholarship and practice. 
  • What excites you about ECU and Pirate Planning program: I am excited to join the Pirate Planning program because of the valued relationship between service and research that exists here. I am looking forward to planning and advocating for fair, safe, and accessible transportation systems in Greenville and the Eastern North Carolina region.