Summer Internship: Heather Mosesso

“This summer I am interning for the Village of Simpson. Simpson is a small community located a few miles east of Greenville. Working in the Town Hall has allowed me to experience many new things and gain knowledge on what it will be like to work as a planner.
For my internship, I attend all of Simpson’s Council meetings and Planning Board meetings. Attending the meetings allowed me to see how a Council board interacts with their community members. An average day in the Town Hall for me usually depends on what project the Mayor or Town Clerk has assigned to me. The first few weeks, I wasn’t in the office a lot as I was going door to door surveying all the housing types in Simpson. This will help with the 2020 Census and was a great way for me to meet members of the community. Another project I have worked on was figuring out all the abandoned houses in Simpson so that they can start to work on getting them demolished or fixed up. I also helped to review the voter’s list and figure out which ones are outdated and need to be removed; this will help with elections in the fall. I also assist any residents that come into the Town Hall needing help.
This summer, I was also able to get the Bookmobile from Sheppard Memorial Library to start visiting the Town Hall. The program helps members of the community that may not be able to make it to the library can stop by the Town Hall for books. I have also helped order speed bumps and bleachers for the community park so that it is a safe and fun place for kids to enjoy.
I have loved working for the Village of Simpson because it has allowed me to see what it’s like to work for a small community. Through my internship, I have been able to see what parts of planning I enjoy working with. The classes and teachers I’ve had at ECU helped prepare me for my internship and what it will be like to work in the field after I graduate.”

By Heather Mosesso, a rising Senior Planning major student. July 2019